South West Water is one of many companies backing the Met Office’s "Get Ready for Winter" campaign.
And to help out, it has come up with ten tips to help you save money and save water.
Any big freeze can affect us all badly. Here’s South West Water's top tips to keep your tubes running smoothly.
1. Know where your stopcock is and how to turn it off.
2. Check your insulation and do a little repairing if there’s signs of wear and tear.
3. Lag pipes if possible. Especially in unheated areas such as lofts, garages and gardens.
4. Get advice on insulation thickness from your local DIY store experts.
5. Isolate and drain outside taps.
6. Leave the loft hatch open on very cold days to allow warm air to circulate and prevent pipes from freezing.
7. If you plan to be away, ask a neighbour or friend to visit and keep an eye open for leaks.
8. If you go away for longer leave the central heating on a low setting.
9. Cold water tanks should be insulated on all sides except the bottom (to allow warm air to circulate).
10. Keep your plumber’s phone number handy!
With a little preparation beforehand we can all "Get Ready for Winter" and get on with enjoying it too!
[Image: Ralph Hockens]